Current:Home > MarketsVon Miller speaks for first time since arrest, says nothing that was alleged was true -VisionFunds
Von Miller speaks for first time since arrest, says nothing that was alleged was true
Will Sage Astor View
Date:2025-04-06 22:10:09
ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. - Buffalo Bills linebacker Von Miller spoke to reporters Thursday for the first time since his arrest earlier this month in Texas for an alleged domestic incident, and he pleaded his innocence.
“Been a crazy month,” Miller began. “Obviously there are things that I can’t talk about but everything that was out is completely wrong and blown out of proportion. Me and my girlfriend, we have problems just like any other couple does, but there has never been any of those things that was alleged against me.
“Hopefully over time, all of this stuff will get cleared up. Sometimes life just … be life-ing. You’ve just got to keep pushing and keep moving. The people who know me and the people who have been around me know my character, they know who I am.”
Police in Dallas responded to a domestic incident at the apartment of his girlfriend and mother of his two sons who is also pregnant with their third son. Whatever happened, Miller was not present when police arrived so the authorities issued an arrest warrant for him.
The charge filed was a third-degree felony, he turned himself in and was released on a $5,000 bond. Later that day, the alleged victim told a Dallas television reporter, “We’re fine. Things were blown way out of context. This is actually outrageous! No one assaulted anyone. This is insane. And sad.”
NFL STATS CENTRAL: The latest NFL scores, schedules, odds, stats and more.
Thursday, Miller echoed the woman’s comments that it was all apparently a misunderstanding.
“All of it is incorrect,” Miller said with a smile. “I don’t know what else … you know, it’s not a funny situation, but all of it is incorrect and all of it is untrue. The only thing that is true is we do have a third son on the way. Everything else is untrue.”
When Miller was asked what he would like to say to his fans, he responded, “First and foremost, there are men and women that deal with serious domestic situations. You cannot downplay that; that really happens in this world that we live in. Never in any of my relationships that I’ve been in, never in my current relationship with my girlfriend, did any of those things happen.
“Whenever you see that stuff pop up in articles and stuff, it’s shocking of course, especially when my name is attached to it, but it is 100% false. It’s overblown. I’ve got the right people on the job. You just keep pushing. I know who I am, I know my character. I know the type of person that I am. I know me and my girlfriend’s relationship, so you’ve just got to keep pushing, man. Life just lifes. You’ve got to smile and have fun through it all, especially when you know all the stuff is untrue.”
Miller said he met with Bills owner Terry Pegula, coach Sean McDermott, general manager Brandon Beane and NFL investigators about the incident and declared that he was “100% truthful, 100% transparent with everything that happened that day from start to finish. Even had them tapped in with the DA reports and everything that was going on with the situation.
“These guys know me, they’ve been around me. Obviously everyone can have a lapse of judgment but that’s just not been me. I love being here, I love playing football, I love the situation that I’m in. I love being Von Miller.”
As to the “being Von Miller” part as it pertains to on the field, it is no secret to anyone who has watched him play this season that he is nowhere close to being the Von Miller he once was following his second ACL knee surgery.
Quite frankly, he’s been one of the worst players on the team since he returned to action in Week 5 against the Jaguars, less than 10 months since his surgery. In the 11 games he has played, Miller has no sacks, just 12 QB pressures and three tackles on 242 snaps.
To many, it seemed like the 34-year-old Miller came back too soon and should have continued rehabbing.
“I feel like I was ready earlier but putting the pads on and everybody moving around, it’s just different,” he said. “I’m not an excuse maker. I like to live on the bright side of things and I guess that is a gift and a curse but it’s gotten me all the way up to this point and it will continue to take me to different levels in my life for sure.
“I really don’t have no pride, man. All I want to do is win. I feel like I should be out there, I feel like I could still play, it’s just I feel like I’m one play away from breaking through. I’m going to always follow these guys. They’ve always had my back and they’ve always guided me and directed me in great situations and I’m not about to take outside advice right now. I’m following those guys and whatever they want me to do, I’ll do it.”
Miller’s glass always overflows with positivity, so it was not a surprise that he said he truly believes he can get back to being a productive, even dominant player, even while the odds certainly seemed stacked against that narrative.
“Come on, guys, it’s still me,” he said. “Would I be up here saying, ‘Nah, man.’ No. I firmly believe my best is yet to come. You had the Super Bowls and all the other stuff that happened early in my career but I firmly believe that my best is yet to come.”
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Teen Mom’s Maci Bookout Supports Ex Ryan Edwards’ Girlfriend Amid Sobriety Journey
- NBC defends performances of Peyton Manning, Kelly Clarkson on opening ceremony
- Sonya Massey's mother called 911 day before shooting: 'I don't want you guys to hurt her'
- 'We're reborn!' Gazans express joy at returning home to north
- 2024 Olympics: Rower Lola Anderson Tearfully Shares How Late Dad Is Connected to Gold Medal Win
- Andy Murray's tennis career comes to end with Olympics doubles defeat
- Facebook parent Meta forecasts upbeat Q3 revenue after strong quarter
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- JoJo Siwa Details Her Exact Timeline for Welcoming Her 3 Babies
Ranking
- Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
- Former Michigan State football coach Mel Tucker sues university over his firing
- 2024 Olympics: Rower Robbie Manson's OnlyFans Paycheck Is More Than Double His Sport Money
- Jamie Lee Curtis Apologizes for Toilet Paper Promotion Comments After Shading Marvel
- Scoot flight from Singapore to Wuhan turns back after 'technical issue' detected
- An 'asymmetrical' butt? Why Lululemon pulled its new leggings off shelves
- Former Georgia gym owner indicted for sexual exploitation of children
- More women are ending pregnancies on their own, a new study suggests. Some resort to unsafe methods
Recommendation
Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
Court filings provide additional details of the US’ first nitrogen gas execution
Jailer agrees to plead guilty in case of inmate who froze to death at jail
Former CNN anchor Don Lemon sues Elon Musk over canceled X deal: 'Dragged Don's name'
Average rate on 30
'Deadpool & Wolverine' is a blast, but it doesn't mean the MCU is back
Paris Olympics: Simone Biles, Team USA gymnastics draw record numbers for NBC
Ballerina Farm Influencer Hannah Neeleman Slams “Attack on Her Family Lifestyle